Attorney Group for Iowa has created a list of the top seven mistakes people make after a car wreck. If you have been injured in an accident and you wish to learn more about your options and seeking compensation for your condition, please contact Attorney Group for Iowa today to be connected with an affiliated Iowa car wreck lawyer.
Mistakes to Avoid Following a Car Accident
1. Not documenting details about the accident. In the aftermath of an accident, it’s important to remember to photograph the scene, injuries, damages, and the surrounding area to help you to prove your case later down the road. Your memory might not be as clear as the minutes afterward, so write down every detail as soon as you can.
2. Talking about the accident on the Internet. Avoid admitting fault or discussing the incident on social media networks. The defense attorney or other driver’s insurance company may attempt to use this information against you in order to prove that you were the one responsible for the accident.
3. Not visiting your healthcare provider. While you may feel perfectly fine and have no visible injuries, you don’t know if complications can develop in the coming weeks or months. Begin a paper trail by visiting your doctor so that if a condition does manifest, you have evidence that you sought medical attention immediately following the incident.
4. Acting disrespectful or angry. Always show the police and the other driver respect, even if you are angry and stressed about the accident. It’s important to answer the police officer’s questions without revealing information that could condemn you.
5. Not receiving a copy of the police report. In addition to filing a police report, you will want to obtain a copy as soon as possible for your records. This important document will serve as one of the most valuable pieces of evidence in your lawsuit if you decide to pursue a claim against the other driver for compensation.
6. Not calling your insurance company. While the other driver may be responsible for covering your losses or expenses, you will also need to pursue a claim with your own insurance provider. However, your company can’t pay on a claim if you fail to tell them about an accident.
7. Jumping on the first settlement amount you are offered. It’s understandable to want to take the first amount offered to you so that you can pay for your vehicle, medical expenses, and other costs that you have incurred. However, by accepting this offering, you will be unable to recover additional damages in the future for any new or worsening injuries. Talk to an Iowa car wreck lawyer before signing any documents.
Seek Help From an Iowa Car Wreck Lawyer
If you need to speak with an Iowa car wreck lawyer after you or a loved one were injured in an accident, contact Attorney Group for Iowa today. We can help you understand your options and evaluate your case at no cost to you. We can also connect you with an affiliated Iowa car wreck lawyer who can help you seek the damages to which you may be entitled. Contact us today to learn more.