If you have been involved in a car accident, it is important that you take certain steps in order to protect yourself if you believe that you may be pursuing a claim for compensation in the future. Attorney Group for Mississippi has compiled a list of the top seven mistakes to avoid making after you are involved in a car wreck. If you have any questions, please contact Attorney Group for Mississippi today.
- Failing to take pictures and write details. Take pictures of your injuries, the area in which the accident occurred, the vehicles, and every other little detail to the best of your ability. It may be a good idea to keep a disposable camera in your glove compartment in case your phone is destroyed in the accident, does not have a camera, or has a drained battery.
- Taking the first offer you get. When you agree to a settlement without legal counsel from a Mississippi car wreck lawyer, you are essentially closing the case, and you will be unable to recover damages for your injuries in the future, regardless of complications that may develop later down the road.
- Losing your cool, fighting, or acting out. Although you may be very upset after an accident, you want to appear calm and collected at all times. Lashing out, blaming others, and snapping at law enforcement will not help your case. Instead, cooperate and answer the officer’s questions to the best of your knowledge.
- Believing that medical attention isn’t necessary. If you develop injuries or complications in the future, it is important to have a paper trail that shows that you saw your healthcare provider immediately following the accident. Don’t shrug off a visit just because you have a bruise or a scratch; make an appointment for a full evaluation.
- Not calling your insurance provider. In order to pay you for your vehicular damages and medical costs, your insurance company will need to know about the accident. Don’t worry about rising premiums or other consequences; call your insurance company the first chance you get.
- Being afraid to request a police report. Law enforcement is there to document the accident and see if any illegal actions caused the incident. However, it is important that you request a copy of this report as you will be able to use it if you decide to seek compensation in the future against those allegedly responsible.
- Taking to social media to vent. Avoid admitting fault, talking about the accident, or revealing details about the accident. Depending on the other party, in some cases, his or her legal counsel may try to sabotage your case by proving that you were the one to blame, and that his or her client is not responsible.
Do You Wish to Speak to a Mississippi Car Wreck Lawyer?
If you feel that you have a case after being injured in an accident that was allegedly caused by irresponsibility or negligence on behalf of someone else, contact Attorney Group for Mississippi today. You will not be required to pay anything for us to review your case, and we can connect you with an affiliated Mississippi car wreck lawyer if you decide to pursue a claim. Call today.