When negligence is the cause of New York accidents involving tractor-trailers, trucking accident lawsuits may be filed. Truck accidents often involve complex factors that require experience with truck accident investigation. Semi trucks are typically much larger than passenger vehicle on the state’s highways, so when a collision does occur, the consequences are often severe.
If you were injured, or a loved one was killed in an accident involving a semi truck, contact the New York Injury Attorney Group for more information about your options. In a free consultation, we can answer your questions. If you have a case, we can connect you with an affiliated trucking accident attorney who can assist you throughout the legal process.
New York Semi Accident Statistics
The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles reports that in 2010 there were 102 fatal accidents involving large trucks. Of those, 11 were drivers of large trucks themselves. Eighteen pedestrian fatalities resulted from large truck accidents. There were also 5,392 injuries stemming from wrecks involving large trucks.
Negligent Conduct in Trucking Accidents
Many types of negligence conduct can lead to truck wrecks, including:
- Distracted driving
- Driving too fast for conditions
- Operating a truck while under the influence
- Driving when too tired, or even falling asleep while driving
- Aggressive driving tactics
Some trucking accidents are due to negligence on the part of the trucking company, including:
- Hiring unqualified or insufficiently trained drivers
- Postponing necessary vehicle inspections
- Failing to replace worn or failing parts, including damaged tires
- Pressure on drivers to stay on the road longer than is permitted
- Creating tight delivery schedules that put undue pressure on truck drivers
Finally, other companies may engage in negligent conduct that ultimately contributes to an accident, including:
- Third-party maintenance providers that fail to perform their work properly
- Manufacturers that deliver defective items like brake pads or suspension parts
- Manufacturers that install problematic computer systems or malfunctioning software
There are many kinds of negligence that can cause accidents involving large trucks. As a result, trucking accident lawsuits may focus on various parties, including the driver, the trucking company, maintenance providers and parts manufacturers. New York state laws provide for compensation when negligence can be proven. Damages may be awarded for medical expenses, lost wages, diminished capacity, and pain and suffering.
Have Questions About Potential Trucking Accident Lawsuits?
It is advisable to retain counsel when you or a loved one is injured in an accident involving a large truck. These cases are often complex, and an attorney experienced in trucking accident lawsuits can be helpful. Attorney Group for New York is ready to assist you. We can arrange a free consultation with one of our affiliated attorneys to determine if you have a personal injury or wrongful death claim. Call us today.