As the popularity of ATVs, all-terrain vehicles, continues to increase in the United States, so does the number of ATV accidents. A recent study by the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, over 135,000 injuries and 800 deaths are due to ATV accidents every year. If you or a loved one has been hurt in an all terrain vehicle crash that occurred because of the negligence of someone else, you may be entitled to receive monetary compensation for your losses. Contact Oklahoma Attorney Group today so that our member Oklahoma ATV Accident Lawyers can explore your legal options.
Common Causes of ATV Accidents
Due to the nature of ATV’s being an outdoor vehicle, many injuries from them can often be due to a number of factors. However, a consistent trend of crash causes leading to injuries have been shown by several studies to include the following:
- Traveling at unsafe speeds
- Careless or inattentive operators
- Inexperienced drivers
- Riding with multiple passengers on an ATV that was made for only a single rider
- Failing to obey Oklahoma laws
- A child operating an ATV when it was designed for adults
- Operating an ATV under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Drivers or passengers failing to wear proper safety equipment
- Driving on busy streets or paved roads
- Defects in the design of an ATV or parts that have malfunctioned
- Misjudgement or driver negligence
Even though all terrain vehicles are made to use outdoors, they are not accident proof and caution must be used when riding such high powered vehicles, especially in certain environments. Riders need to be aware of their surroundings as well as what type of terrain they will be riding on. Common environment-related causes of all terrain vehicle crashes can include rocky inclines or declines, slippery trails, heavy rain and snow, muddy bogs and sand dunes. It is also important for ATV riders to be on alert when riding with another ATV user who can lose control and crash into you.
Common Injuries Caused By ATV Collisions
An all terrain vehicle accident can leave lasting and debilitating injuries. Some of the most common injuries related to ATVs are:
- Neck, back and spinal cord injuries
- Severe lacerations
- Broken bones
- Brain and head injuries
Oklahoma ATV Accident Lawyers
If you have lost a loved one or suffered serious injuries yourself in an ATV accident due to the negligence of someone else or as a result of a vehicle defect, you may be able to file a lawsuit. Our affiliated Oklahoma ATV Accident Lawyers of Oklahoma Attorney Group can advise you of your legal options to protect your rights as a victim of an ATV accident.