A Washington Nexium lawsuit may be an option for people who suffered complications after using the drug to treat acid reflux disease. Nexium, AstraZeneca’s largest selling drug, has been used by millions of Americans to treat complications that may result due to the excessive production of stomach acid. In spite of the drug’s popularity, Nexium has been linked to serious kidney injuries and disorders. Affected patients and their families may be eligible to file a Washington Nexium lawsuit and recover compensation for their injuries.
For more information, contact Attorney Group for Washington. We offer free, confidential, no obligation consultations. We can help answer your questions, and if you choose to pursue a case we can connect you with an affiliated Nexium lawsuit attorney who can assist you throughout the legal process.
What is Nexium?
Nexium, the brand name for esomeprazole, is used to treat indigestion, peptic ulcer disease, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), and other problems affecting the esophagus due to the production of excess stomach acid. Nexium may also be prescribed to help prevent cancer of the esophagus and to treat other conditions, including Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.
How Does Nexium Work?
Nexium is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI), a type of drug whose primary action is a distinct, long-lasting reduction of stomach acid production. PPIs work by blocking the action of the proton pump, a membrane responsible for the secretion of stomach acid.
Nexium Side Effects
According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the most common side effects of Nexium include:
- Dry mouth
- Abdominal pain
Nexium and Kidney Disease Risks
Research published in several peer-reviewed medical journals including the BMC Nephrology, The BMJ, and the JAMA Internal Medicine have linked the use of PPIs, including Nexium, to the following kidney disorders:
- Acute Interstitial Nephritis (AIN): AIN is a kidney condition in which the spaces between the kidney tubules become swollen or inflamed. Symptoms of AIN may include blood in the urine, fever, nausea, increased or decreased urine output, drowsiness, confusion, vomiting, swelling, rash, and weight gain.
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI): According to the National Kidney Foundation (NKF), AKI occurs when kidney function suddenly decreases and kidney damage occurs within a very short period of time, usually a matter of hours or days. Symptoms may include insufficient urine production, water-electrolyte imbalance or fatigue, swelling, shortness of breath, or too much acid in the blood or tissues.
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD): CKD is characterized by a slow, progressive loss of kidney function over a long period of time. CKD may include conditions that damage the kidneys and reduce their ability to remove wastes from the blood.
These conditions may progress into kidney failure, if they are not treated properly. Symptoms of kidney failure include shortness of breath, weakness, lethargy, and confusion. If the kidneys fail completely, patients could potentially need dialysis or a kidney transplant to survive.
Other Nexium Risks
Other potential risks and side effects may occur in patients who use Nexium to treat acid reflux disease and other conditions affecting the esophagus. According to AstraZeneca’s Nexium website, the prescription medication may help acid-related problems, however, patients may still have severe problems, including:
- Severe diarrhea caused by an infection (Clostridium difficile) in the intestines
- Increased risk of bone fractures, specifically fractures of the hip, wrist, or spine
- Increased risk of chronic inflammation of the stomach lining
- Low magnesium levels, usually occurring a year after treatment
- Vitamin B-12 deficiency, usually occurring after three years of treatment
A Nexium lawsuit filed in May 2016 claims that, despite several published studies connecting the medication to serious kidney complications, the makers of the medication, AstraZeneca, failed to warn the plaintiff or their physician of such risks. Furthermore, the lawsuit claims that the drug manufacturers engaged in and continue to engage in fraudulent, unfair, and unlawful conduct likely to mislead the public.
How a Washington Nexium Lawsuit Can Help
Drug makers have a duty to provide safe products. If there are risks of harm associated with their products, they also must provide adequate warnings. If a drug maker fails to fulfill this duty, it could be held liable in lawsuits for injuries that may result.
People injured by bad drugs may be eligible to recover money for:
- Medical Expenses
- Lost Wages
- Pain and Suffering
The families of those who have died may be eligible to recover money for funeral expenses and the pain that comes with losing a loved one.
The Time You Have to Pursue a Claim is Limited. Contact Us Today.
For more information, contact Attorney Group for Washington. You can fill out the form on this page or contact us by phone or email.
After you contact us, an attorney will follow up to answer questions that you might have. There is no cost or obligation to speak with us, and any information you provide will be kept confidential.
Please note that the law limits the time you have to pursue a claim or file a lawsuit for an injury. If you think you have a case, you should not delay taking action.