Not only must drivers traveling by construction areas be alert for hazards, equipment and workers, but construction companies often have the legal obligation to minimize risks to both themselves and drivers passing by the site. Unfortunately, although maintaining and constructing highways is essential, accidents do occur as the result of negligence, adverse weather conditions and driver error, among other causes.
Have you or someone you love been injured in a construction accident? An Alabama highway construction accident lawyer affiliated with Attorney Group for Alabama can review your case and help you to determine if you have a claim.
Prevalence of Construction Accidents
In 2012, 130 fatal occupational injuries occurred at construction sites alongside roadways, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In 2011 and 2010, there were 122 and 106 fatalities, respectively. The National Work Zone Safety Information Clearinghouse reports that, out of 865 fatalities in motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2012, 856 occurred outside the work zone, and nine people died while in the work zone.
What Causes Highway Construction Accidents?
Although construction zones may be hazardous in general, they can become even more dangerous if they are along a highway for several reasons:
- Lack of proper or adequate signage may not allow drivers enough time to slow down or change their speed as they travel toward a construction site.
- Drivers who ignore traffic safety rules such as those who are not paying attention, speeding or driving under the influence can hit equipment on the site or construction workers in the area and cause catastrophic damages.
- Drivers may be unable to slow down or stop suddenly if they come upon a construction zone nearby unmarked sharp curves, dips and other road hazards.
- Adverse weather conditions can make it difficult to navigate around a construction site, especially if the construction company does not anticipate the effect of severe weather on current driving conditions.
- Independent construction companies may be contracted to work on various construction projects but may not meet or adhere to safety regulations.
- Because highway construction sites are alongside busy roadways, the slightest misplacement of equipment or road markers can create a hazard for drivers traveling at such high speeds.
What to Do Following an Incident
Regardless of where the accident occurs or the extent of the damage, it is crucial to call for help or seek medical attention immediately following the incident. Next, call for police aid so that you have documentation of the accident to use as evidence should you need to file a lawsuit in the future and contact your insurance company as soon as possible to inform the company of the accident.
After you have taken these steps, consider seeking legal counsel from an Alabama highway construction accident lawyer to protect your legal rights. An experienced Alabama highway construction accident lawyer will be able to evaluate the scene to determine who should be held accountable and what had transpired prior to the accident. Other possible ways that an Alabama highway construction accident lawyer could assist you include:
- Helping you seek compensation to which you may be entitled
- Ensuring that you and the other individual’s insurance companies are following proper procedures for handling claims
- Assisting you in filing a wrongful death claim if someone you love was killed in an accident
Injured? An Alabama Highway Construction Accident Lawyer Can Help You Today
If you or someone you know have sustained injuries in a construction accident on a highway, an Alabama highway construction accident lawyer can inform you of your legal rights. At Attorney Group for Alabama, we can provide you with a free, no-obligation case evaluation to help you to determine if you have a claim and answer your questions to the best of our ability. We will connect you with an experienced Alabama highway construction accident lawyer who will work to help you seek the compensation to which you may be entitled such as pain and suffering, medical expenses or lost wages.