A Nevada Nexium lawsuit may be an option for patients who suffered complications after taking the acid reflux medication. Nexium, a widely prescribed acid reflux medication has been linked to serious side effects and health problems, particularly those affecting the kidneys. Affected patients and their families may be eligible to file a lawsuit and seek compensation for their injuries with the help of a Nevada Nexium lawsuit attorney.
For more information, contact Attorney Group for Nevada. We offer free, confidential, no obligation consultations. We can help answer your questions, and if you choose to pursue a case we can connect you with an affiliated Nexium lawsuit attorney who can assist you throughout the legal process.
Important: The time you have to pursue a claim is limited. Contact us for more information.
What is Nexium and How Does It Work?
Nexium, the brand name used for the drug esomeprazole, is used to treat specific conditions related to the stomach and esophagus such as acid reflux disease and ulcers. The medication also relieves heartburn, difficulty swallowing, and chronic cough. Nexium helps to heal damage caused by stomach acid and may help prevent cancer of the esophagus.
Nexium belongs to a class of drugs called proton pump inhibitors (PPI). PPIs reduce the amount of acid production in the stomach by blocking the enzyme in the wall of the stomach that produces acid.
Nexium Side Effects
The use of Nexium may cause serious side effects to occur. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), serious side effects of Nexium include:
- Chronic atrophic gastritis, or persistent inflammation of the stomach lining
- Symptoms related to low magnesium levels in the body, including jitteriness, jerking movements, muscle weakness, seizure, dizziness, spasms of the voice box, and abnormal or fast heartbeat
- Severe allergic reactions such as rash, face swelling, throat tightness, and difficulty breathing
- Severe diarrhea due to a bacterial infection of the intestines
- Increased risk of hip, wrist, or spine fractures
Nexium Kidney Disease Risks
In addition to severe side effects related to the use of Nexium for the treatment of conditions affecting the stomach and esophagus, there are other serious complications that are reportedly linked to the use of the drug, including:
- Acute Interstitial Nephritis (AIN): AIN is characterized by inflammation of the renal fluid between the tubules in the kidneys and usually occurs as a result of infection or allergic reactions to certain medications.
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD): According to the Centers for Disease Prevention (CDC), CKD is a condition in which the kidneys are damaged and cannot filter blood as well as healthy kidneys. As a result, wastes from the blood remain in the body and may lead to other health problems.
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI): AKI is characterized by the abrupt deterioration of kidney function. The extent AKI can range from mild to severe and may require that the patient make changes to their diet and discontinue any medications that may be causing the injury.
- Renal Failure: Renal or kidney failure occurs when waste products in the body begin to build and the kidneys stop functioning. If the kidneys fail completely, kidney dialysis or transplant may be necessary to treat the condition.
An Illinois Nexium lawsuit was filed in May 2016. The lawsuit alleges that the makers of Nexium, AstraZeneca, received numerous case reports of kidney injuries in patients who were prescribed Nexium as early as 2004. According to the lawsuit, a study published in February 2016 indicated that long term use of PPIs such as Nexium was independently associated with a 20 to 50 percent higher risk of incident CKD.
The lawsuit also alleges that, according to a study conducted in 2015, AKIs increased 250 percent in elderly patients that were newly prescribed PPIs. Despite knowledge of such information about the risks associated with Nexium, the drug manufacturers engaged in and continue to engage in fraudulent, unfair, and unlawful conduct likely to mislead consumers and the public.
How a Nevada Nexium Lawsuit Can Help
Drug makers have a duty to provide safe products. If there are risks of harm associated with their products, they also must provide adequate warnings. If a drug maker fails to fulfill this duty, it could be held liable in lawsuits for injuries that may result.
People injured by bad drugs may be eligible to recover money for:
- Medical Expenses
- Lost Wages
- Pain and Suffering
The families of those who have died may be eligible to recover money for funeral expenses and the pain that comes with losing a loved one.
The Time You Have to Pursue a Claim is Limited. Contact Us Today.
For more information, contact Attorney Group for Nevada. You can fill out the form on this page or contact us by phone or email.
After you contact us, an attorney will follow up to answer questions that you might have. There is no cost or obligation to speak with us, and any information you provide will be kept confidential.
Please note that the law limits the time you have to pursue a claim or file a lawsuit for an injury. If you think you have a case, you should not delay taking action.