A Florida Nexium Lawsuit may be an option for patients who suffered complications after taking the heartburn medication. Nexium, along with other proton pump inhibitors (PPI), is used to treat symptoms related to acid reflex disease and duodenal ulcers. Despite the drug’s widespread use, Nexium has been linked to serious, sometimes life-threatening risks and side effects, particularly those affecting the kidneys. Affected patients and their families may be eligible to file a Florida Nexium lawsuit and seek compensation for their injuries.
For more information, contact Attorney Group for Florida. We offer free, confidential, no obligation consultations. We can help answer your questions, and if you choose to pursue a case we can connect you with an affiliated Nexium lawsuit attorney who can assist you throughout the legal process.
What is Nexium?
Nexium is a type of medication used to treat symptoms related to gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), duodenal ulcers, and other problems of the esophagus and stomach. It may also be used to lower the risk of bleeding after endoscopy in patients with ulcers. Nexium is available with a prescription and over-the-counter.
How Does Nexium Work?
Nexium is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) and works by lowering or decreasing the amount of acid produced by glands in the stomach. Other popular PPIs used to treat GERD include Prilosec, Prevacid, Protonix, AcipHex, and Dexilant.
Nexium Kidney Disease Risks
Like many prescription and over-the-counter medications, there are common side effects associated with the use of Nexium to treat acid reflux disease and symptoms related to heartburn. However, Nexium has been linked to serious, potentially life-threatening risks, including:
- Acute Interstitial Nephritis (AIN): AIN affects the areas between the kidney tubules and can lead to kidney failure if left untreated. According to a study published in 2013, researchers concluded that renal biopsy showed signs of AIN in one patient who used esomeprazole (Nexium).
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD): CKD is the progressive loss of kidney function. CKD may lead to other complications, including cardiovascular disease, anemia, renal osteodystrophy, or an inflammation of the fibrous sac surrounding the heart. Research published in 2016 indicated that the use of PPIs such as Nexium was associated with up to 50 percent higher risk of kidney disease.
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI): AKI is a condition in which the kidneys suddenly cannot filter waste from the blood. AKI develops rapidly over the course of hours or days and symptoms may be subtle or may not appear at all.
- Renal Failure: Renal or kidney failure occurs when the kidneys no longer function properly. Kidney failure can be life-threatening and requires dialysis or kidney transplant.
Nexium Side Effects
Common side effects of Nexium include headache, constipation, nausea, vomiting, gas, and drowsiness.
Severe side effects may include:
- Symptoms related to low magnesium levels such as irregular heartbeat, persistent muscle spasms, and seizures
- Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea, a severe intestinal condition marked by persistent diarrhea, abdominal or stomach pain or cramping, fever, and blood and/or mucus in the stool
- Symptoms of vitamin B-12 deficiency, including unusual weakness, sore tongue, or numbness or tingling of the hands and feet
A Nexium lawsuit filed in May 2016 alleges that the makers of the medication, AstraZeneca, had notice of serious adverse health outcomes through case reports, clinical studies, and post-market surveillance, specifically reports of kidney injuries in patients who had taken Nexium. According to the lawsuit, AstraZeneca knew about this as early as 2004. Despite this knowledge, the manufacturers took no action to inform the plaintiff or the plaintiff’s physicians of the known risks associated with Nexium.
The lawsuit also alleges that the manufacturers knew or should have known about the problems and defects of Nexium and that they concealed and failed to notify the plaintiff and the public of such defects. As a result of misconduct by the manufacturers, the lawsuit alleges that the plaintiff has suffered and will continue to suffer from undue emotional and mental distress.
How a Florida Nexium Lawsuit Can Help
Drug makers have a duty to provide safe products. If there are risks of harm associated with their products, they also must provide adequate warnings. If a drug maker fails to fulfill this duty, it could be held liable in lawsuits for injuries that may result.
People injured by bad drugs may be eligible to recover money for:
- Medical Expenses
- Lost Wages
- Pain and Suffering
The families of those who have died may be eligible to recover money for funeral expenses and the pain that comes with losing a loved one.
The time you have to pursue a claim is limited. Contact us for more information.Get Help Now.
For more information, contact Attorney Group for Florida. You can fill out the form on this page or contact us by phone or email.
After you contact us, an attorney will follow up to answer questions that you might have. There is no cost or obligation to speak with us, and any information you provide will be kept confidential.
Please note that the law limits the time you have to pursue a claim or file a lawsuit for an injury. If you think you have a case, you should not delay taking action.