This week saw a recall on Brilinta tablets, recalls on macadamia nuts, recalls on sponge cake dessert cups, recalls on Mibelas tablets, recalls on organic cashews, recalls on beef broth, recalls on beef trimming products, recalls on flour products, recalls on Greek pasta salad, recalls on children’s robes, recalls on cinnamon half cakes and cake slices.
Details are below, courtesy of cpsc.gov and recalls.gov.
If you would like more information on a recalled product, or if you have been injured by a product, including one of the products listed below, contact Attorney Group for more information. We offer free, no obligation consultations. We can help answer your questions. If you have a case and would like legal counsel, we can connect you with an affiliated product liability attorney who can assist you through the legal process. Get informed; get connected. Contact Attorney Group today.
Product Recalls for the Week of May 29, 2017:
- Brilinta 90mg Tablets: AstraZeneca announced that the Company is notifying physicians and consumers that it is voluntarily recalling one lot of professional (physician) sample bottles containing eight tablets of BRILINTA® (ticagrelor) 90mg tablets as a precautionary measure. This voluntary recall follows a report that a professional sample bottle containing eight tablets of BRILINTA 90mg also contained another medicine called ZURAMPIC® (lesinurad) 200 mg tablets which is also manufactured by AstraZeneca. This precautionary measure is limited to one lot (BRILINTA lot #JB5047) of professional sample bottles containing eight tablets of BRILINTA 90 mg distributed to physicians in the US between March and April of 2017. Other forms and dosage strengths of BRILINTA, including medicine obtained via US retail or mail order pharmacies, are notaffected by this voluntary recall. This recall does not affect ZURAMPIC. BRILINTA is indicated to reduce the rate of CV death, heart attack and stroke in patients with acute coronary syndrome (ACS) or a history of heart attack. BRILINTA also reduces the rate of stent thrombosis in patients who have been stented for treatment of ACS. BRILINTA 90 mg tablets are supplied as a round, biconvex, yellow, film-coated tablet, and imprinted with 90 above a T on one side of the pill. ZURAMPIC tablets 200 mg are blue in color and elliptical/oval in shape. They are imprinted with LES200 on one side of the pill. AstraZeneca is notifying physicians by recall letter and is arranging for return of all recalled products. Consumers that have medicine which is being recalled should contact their physician. Recall Date: 5/24/2017
- Simple Truth Dry Roasted Macadamia Nuts: The Kroger Co announced the recall of its Simple Truth Dry Roasted Macadamia Nuts due to potential Listeria monocytogenes A supplier reported the product may have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. The product comes in a 12 ounce, clear plastic package marked with an expiration date of May 02, 2018 stamped on the side. Kroger has removed 12-ounce Simple Truth Dry Roasted Macadamia Nuts, UPC 11110-0248 from store shelves and initiated its customer recall notification system that alerts customers who may have purchased recalled Class 1 products through register receipt tape messages and phone calls. Kroger, Bakers, Gerbes and Dillons stores operating in the following states are included in this recall: Ohio, Southeast Indiana, Northern Kentucky, Kansas, Nebraska and Missouri. Customers who have purchased any of the products described above should not consume them and should return them to a store for a full refund or replacement. Recall Date: 5/24/2017
- Kroger Yellow Sponge Cake Dessert Cups: The Kroger Co. has recalled Kroger Dessert Cups –Yellow Sponge Cake (6.5 oz., 6 Pack) sold in its retail stores because it contains undeclared milk. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to milk run the risk of a serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products. Although milk is listed in the ingredient statement, milk is not included in the “Contains” statement. All stores operating under names Kroger, Owen’s, Pay Less, Scott’s, Gerbes, Ruler Foods, Dillons, Baker’s, Food4Less and Jay C, located in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia. Product subject to recall includes 6.5-ounce Kroger Dessert Cups – Yellow Sponge Cake, 6-pack, Consumer UPC 11110-18550. Customers who have purchased any of the products described above should not consume them and should return them to a store for a full refund or replacement. Recall Date: 5/24/2017
- Mibelas 24 Fe Tablets: Lupin Pharmaceuticals Inc. announced today that it has voluntarily recalled lot L600518, Exp 05/18 of Mibelas 24 Fe (Norethindrone Acetate and Ethinyl Estradiol 1 mg/0.02 mg chewable and ferrous fumarate 75 mg) Tablets at the consumer level. A confirmed market complaint indicated a packaging error, where the blister was rotated 180 degrees within the wallet, reversing the weekly tablet orientation and making the lot number and expiration date no longer visible. The first four days of therapy would have had four non-hormonal placebo tablets as opposed to the active tablets. As a result of this packaging error, oral contraceptive tablets that are taken out of sequence may place the user at risk for contraceptive failure and unintended pregnancy. The reversing the order may not be apparent to either new users or previous users of the product, increasing the likelihood of taking the tablets out of order. For patients in whom a pregnancy is contraindicated or in whom concomitant medication(s) may have teratogenic effects, an unintended pregnancy may cause significant adverse maternal or fetal health consequences, including death. To date there have been no reports of such adverse events. This product is an oral contraceptive indicated for the prevention of pregnancy in women who elect to use oral contraceptives. These products are packaged in blister packs containing 28 tablets: 24 white to off-white tablets of active ingredients debossed with “LU” on one side and “N81” on the other; and 4 tablets of inert ingredients debossed with “LU” on one side and “M22” on the other side. This product was distributed Nationwide in the U.S.A. to wholesalers, clinics and retail pharmacies. Products subject to recall include NDC 68180-911-11 (Wallet of 28 tablets) and NDC 68180-911-13 (Carton of 3 wallets), Lot No L600518, and Expiration 05/31/2018. Lupin is notifying its distributors and customers by recall letter and is arranging for return of all recalled products. Consumers who have the affected product should notify their physician and return the product to the pharmacy or place of purchase. Recall Date: 5/25/2017
- Organic Cashews: Hampton Farms is voluntarily recalling Ava’s brand Organic Cashews Roasted & Salted 8 oz. tubs distributed in New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Connecticut. Hampton Farms has been notified by their cashew supplier that the cashews used have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. No confirmed illnesses have been reported to public health authorities to date. Routine sampling of a different item from another company revealed positive Listeria monocytogenes results, and a subsequent investigation in their manufacturing environment revealed a contaminated piece of equipment that was also used to produce the ingredient we received. Although test results of our cashews were negative for Listeria, we are recalling this item out of an abundance of caution. This announcement applies only to the Ava’s brand Organic Cashews Roasted & Salted product listed and does not include any other items or the same item outside of this lot code: Ava’s Brand 8 oz. Organic Roasted Salted Cashews; UPC 8-10111-01035-1; and Best By 4/28/18, Lot 11817-L2. Consumers should not consume these products. Affected product may be returned to the place of purchase for a full refund. Recall Date: 5/26/2017
- Beef Broth Products: Cauldron Soups, LLC, doing business as Cauldron Broths, is recalling approximately 5,163 pounds of beef broth products that were produced without the benefit of federal inspection, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced. The beef bone broth items were produced and packaged between December 21, 2016 and May 22, 2017. A full list of recalled products can be found on the products’ FSIS recall page. The products subject to recall bear establishment number “EST. 45953” inside the USDA mark of inspection. These items were shipped to retail locations in the state of Washington and to a distributor who conducts internet sales direct to consumers nationwide. Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them. These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase. Recall Date: 5/26/2017
- Beef Trimming Products: Readfield Meats, Inc., doing business as Ruffino Meats & Food Service, is recalling approximately 45,985 pounds of beef trimming products due to possible adulteration, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced. The product labels include “For Cooking Only,” indicating that they are intended for further processing to apply a full lethality at a federally inspected establishment. Because the products were distributed to non-federally inspected establishments where it cannot be verified that sufficient further processing occurred to remove foodborne pathogens that could have been present, these products must be removed from commerce. The frozen raw beef trimmings items were produced from May 26, 2015 through May 26, 2017. Products subject to recall include 50-pound boxes containing “BEEF TRIMMINGS FOR COOKING ONLY.” The products subject to recall bear establishment number “EST. 13126” inside the USDA mark of inspection. These items were shipped to retail markets, state inspected plants, and individuals located in Texas. Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them. These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase. Recall Date: 5/27/2017
- Select Golden Temple®, Swad®, and Maya® Flour Products: Smucker Foods of Canada Corp. announced a voluntary recall on specific production codes of Golden Temple®, Swad®, and Maya®flour products in the U.S. due to possible coli 0121 contamination. The impacted product was produced by Ardent Mills located in Saskatoon, SK Canada. Additional flour and flour products have been voluntarily recalled in Canada in cooperation with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency as part of their ongoing E. Coli investigation. Impacted product is packaged in 20 lb. paper bags and was distributed nationwide to 19 distributors and two small retailers. A complete list of recalled products can be found on the products’ FDA recall page. If you have any of the products listed below, please dispose of them immediately. Consumers with impacted product are urged to contact the company. Recall Date: 5/31/2017
- Greek Pasta Salad: A.S.K. Foods, Inc. is voluntarily recalling one lot of Hannaford Supermarkets’ TASTE OF INSPIRATIONS GREEK PASTA SALAD Net Wt. 10 oz. (284g) because it may contain undeclared milk. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to milk run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products. The recalled Greek Pasta Salad was distributed and sold at Hannaford Supermarkets in ME, NY, MA, NH and VT. The recalled product was packaged in 10 ounce (284g) clear plastic containers having a label that statesTaste of Inspirations Greek Pasta Salad on the lid. The recalled product has a code on the lid that states “SELL BY: 6-5-17 3649-1” and is marked with UPC 25439 98423 on the side/bottom label. The recall was initiated after it was discovered that certain packages of the recalled product contained an ingredient and nutrition label from another product [Taste of Inspirations Classic Red Skin Potato Salad] that did not reveal the presence of milk. People who have an allergy or sensitivity to milk should not consume the recalled Greek Pasta Salad. If you still have this salad, please return it to the Hannaford Supermarket store that you purchased it from for a full refund. Recall Date: 5/31/2017
- Children’s Robes: Kreative Kids Inc. is recalling its children’s robes because the robes fail to meet flammability standards for children’s sleepwear, posing a risk of burn injuries to children. This recall includes eight styles of children’s 100-percent polyester, hooded robes. The robes were sold in sizes 4-6 and 7-9 in the following styles: purple elephant, lion, pink bear, lady bug, blue puppy, duck, monkey, and princess cat. A label sewn in the robes has item number 2013NW081 and “Kreative Kids” printed on it. The robes also have a hood, long-sleeves, a belt, cinched back and two front pockets. Recalled robes were sold online at Amazon.com and at gift and specialty stores in California, Iowa, New York, Ohio and Texas from September 2013 through April 2017. Consumers should immediately take the recalled robes away from children and contact Kreative Kids for a full refund. Recall Date: 6/1/2017
- Cinnamon Pudding Half Cakes and Cake Slices: Schnucks Bakery is issuing an allergy alert on Cinnamon Pudding Half Cakes and Cake Slices because the products may contain walnuts that are not listed on the ingredient labels. Those with an allergy or severe sensitivity to walnuts run the risk of a serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume this product. The cakes were sold in all 100 Schnucks retail stores in Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin and Iowa. Products subject to recall include Schnucks Bakery Half Cinnamon Pudding Cake, UPC: 2-52594-20399-6, All sell-by dates up to and including June 12, 2017 (found on product label directly below price); Schnucks Bakery Cinnamon Pudding Cake Slice, UPC: 2-52584-00199-1, All sell-by dates up to and including June 12, 2017 (found on product label directly below price); and Schnucks Bakery Sliced Pudding Cake Tray (variety pack that includes slices of the cinnamon cake), UPC: 2-52680-50999-5, All sell-by dates up to and including June 12, 2017 (found on product label directly below price). Schnucks Customers who purchased the affected products from Schnucks Bakery departments are encouraged to return them to their nearest store for a full refund. Recall Date: 6/1/2017