With the Christmas shopping season quickly approaching, children are creating their list of the toys they want most under the tree on Christmas morning. Parents may want to view the World Against Toys Causing Harm (W.A.T.C.H.) “10 Worst Toys of 2014” to be sure they do not purchase items that appear on the dangerous toy list.
Sales Before Safety
[inlinetweet prefix=”” tweeter=”” suffix=””]W.A.T.C.H. says that one focus for the 2014 list are toys that are designed and marketed for sales over the safety[/inlinetweet] of children. Guns, rockets or bow and arrow sets are often promoted by the entertainment world and may seem exciting to children, but they appear on the dangerous toy list as they can have tragic, sometimes deadly consequences. Toys fashioned after props used in movies, such as bows and arrows patterned after the “Hunger Games” franchise, increase sales but the toys are often not appropriate for children. In addition, many toys have misleading packaging. For example, a riding toy may show a child using the toy with no safety equipment while the warnings on the box say that children should wear protective gear when using. Other warnings may be impossible for small children to comply with, such as not pointing a weapon at the eyes or face.
Same Hazards Occur Each Year
Another problem found by W.A.T.C.H. is that the same hazardous toys appear year-after-year. Toys with small parts, strings or toxic substances seem to appear on the dangerous toy list every year. During 2013, eight toys were recalled due to choking or ingestion risks. Overall there were at least 17 toy recalls, representing almost five million units in the United States and Canada. Some of these recalled toys appeared on the dangerous toy list.
Dangerous Toys List
This year’s dangerous toy list includes:
- Zing Air Storm Firetek Bow – potential for eye injuries
- Radio Flyer Ziggle – potential for forehead and other impact injuries
- Toysmith Catapencil – potential for eye injuries
- Skip Hop Alphabet Zoo rock & Stack Pull Toy – potential for strangulation and entanglement injuries
- Junxing Toys Swat Electric Machine Gun – replica of a real weapon and warnings say that it could be mistaken for an actual firearm by law enforcement officers
- Walmart Wooden Instruments – potential for ingestion and choking injuries
- Norman & Globus Bottle Rocket Party – potential for eye, face and other impact injuries.
- JC Toys Group Lil’ Cutesies – Best Friends – potential for choking injuries
- Toys R Us True Legends Orcs Battle Hammer – potential for blunt impact injuries
- Toys R Us Colored Hedgehog – potential for ingestions aspiration injuries
Have You or a Loved One Been Injured by a Dangerous Toy?
If you or a loved one has been injured by a toy that appeared on previous dangerous toy list, you may be entitled to a monetary compensation. Attorney Group is experienced in handling personal injury claims. Our affiliated attorneys can analyze your case and file a lawsuit with no out-of-pocket costs to you. Contact Attorney Group to learn more about your rights.