Many people can find comfort in the chaos of mental illness with the assistance of pharmaceuticals. However, many of these drugs are reportedly severe in the way they work and their impact on the body. Possible Risperdal side effects can range from mildly annoying to downright destructive. Over 420 lawsuits allege that Johnson & Johnson has not acted in good faith with their promotion of Risperdal, has understated risks, and has been negligence towards the health impact on the consumer. If you or a loved one has suffered from serious Risperdal side effects, contact Attorney Group today for a free consultation about your circumstances.
What Is Risperdal Used For?
Risperdal is a class antipsychotic used in the treatment of schizophrenia, manic cycles of Bipolar Disorder, and irritability associated with autism. It is a heavyweight pharmaceutical that has been reported to not interact well with other medications. Adverse reactions have been expected in conjunction with centrally-acting drugs and alcohol.
Antipsychotics are similar to tranquilizers in that they are expected to calm and level out an unstable patient. Destructive, distressful periods are common with Schizophrenia and the manic reaches of Bipolar Disorder. Autistic patients can have a similar experience if they are overloaded with too much sensory information at once. A regularly used antipsychotic like Risperdal can provide stability for the patient that they may not otherwise have.
Risperdal Side Effects
All medications have the potential for serious side effects. Risperdal side effects may be mild; such as weight gain, problems with intimacy, exhaustion, upset stomach, or anxiety. However, those are not really the focus of pending lawsuits or excessively damaging to the life of the patient. Serious Risperdal side effects include the following:
- Allergic reactions. The patient may experience symptoms similar to a bee sting allergy with swelling and trouble breathing.
- Cardiac disruption. An irregular, too fast, too slow, or pounding heartbeat may occur.
- Gastrointestinal problems. Stomach pain, severe diarrhea, or vomiting could manifest.
- Sensory malfunction. The user may have dizziness, blurred vision, loss of coordination, or trouble speaking.
The Risperdal side effects that can have drastic consequences for the user’s health include:
- Gynecomastia. Young men that have taken Risperdal experience breast growth that is believed to be linked to increased levels of prolactin. Prolactin is a hormone that influences breast growth in women. Lawsuits commonly allege that Johnson & Johnson did not adequately test Risperdal to show the potential for this side effect. At least 125 lawsuits have been filed with gynecomastia at the core.
- Suicide and suicidal thinking
- Bone loss
- Diabetes or other problems relating to blood sugar
- Increased risk of heart attack
- Pituitary tumors
- Higher mortality in Dementia and related psychosis sufferers
Risperdal Side Effects and Lawsuits
Risperdal side effects are allegedly serious enough to be actionable items on their own. Johnson & Johnson has already paid out $2.2 billion in fines as related to the misrepresentation of Risperdal to the public. The Janssen division of Johnson & Johnson was reportedly responsible for misbranding Risperdal to peddle it for unauthorized uses and to nursing homes.
Any psychological medication has the potential to have very serious side effects that can negatively impact the person’s life in a very severe way. The problem is that Johnson & Johnson reportedly took active steps to hide some of these severe Risperdal side effects from the public. The mentally ill, and other users, were denied the ability to make an informed decision about the potential for what they were putting in their bodies.
How Can Attorney Group Help?
Arrange for a consultation with Attorney Group today. We can go over the circumstances you find yourself in with Risperdal side effects and determine if you have an actionable case, at no cost to you. AIAG can then connect you with an affiliated, experienced attorney who can provide the legal representation you need to seek damages.
It’s not always about the side effects, but rather includes surrounding circumstances. One Risperdal lawsuit plaintiff in Philadelphia was treated with Risperdal from the age of 9-14 and developed female breasts due to gynecomastia. A Risperdal lawsuit attorney was able to secure damages in part due to the psychological trauma that accompanied it.
You and your loved ones should not be punished with medical expenses, loss of quality of life, or psychological damage due to a person or company’s negligent or wrongful actions. Contact AIAG today!